Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Random Tech: Browsers

So, I figured I'd take a break from ranting again and post something simple. I used to be in the IT department, took some classes learned enough anyway. So, here's the thing, we all use browsers, but which one? There's the big three: Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, along with several more but these three are the most used. Now, why do we use the one we use, it was installed already or you used it elsewhere and knew you wanted to use it for the rest of your internet usage. Normally you would think that Internet explorer would be the most used simply because, lets face it, there are a lot of people who don't know what downloading is, never mind that Firefox or chrome exists. However, from what I've seen recently, Chrome is growing in popularity a lot lately. I, personally use Chrome as well, but before that I was using firefox. Why the change you ask, well my Firefox started to run slow so I decided to try Chrome for a bit of fun, only thing is it was faster and easy to use. That and it looked like the version of Firefox Windows 7 allowed and I loved that look.

Anyway down to business, why I use or don't use a browser. I'm going to start with Internet Explorer first, as that's the one I complain about the most. I find it slow, it's pop-up blocker to be less than effective, which makes its security slacking. I've heard that it crashes quite frequently, I have yet to see it crash however, and honestly it's probably due to its lack of use. It does have some security settings but I am not sure as to how well they work anymore, you would certainly need to keep it updated though, which goes the same for all browsers. All in all I will give IE a rating of 2 exploded internets out of 5.

On to Firefox, it has a variety of add-ons and extensions which will satisfy any need you happen to have with your browser. Whether that need be in games, social networking sites, or even just making your browser look pretty. It was originally designed to free users from pop-ups and to protect them from all of the holes in Internet Explorers design. It is open source meaning that new add-ons and extensions are made almost daily, and their development team makes sure to keep their program up to date. It started to slow down as I said earlier, but all in all it is still a great browser. I give Firefox a rating of 4 freeware awesomes out of 5.

Now to my current browser, Chrome! It has proven itself very effective and has had few if any pop-ups at all. It is faster than Firefox on my computer and seems to not be affected as much by those pesky tool-bars that some programs install if you don't pay enough attention.So far so good for me anyway, no major problems or crashes that the other browsers didn't have anyway. It has been getting some more add-ons like firefox has, and it runs them separately, not sure if that's good or bad but I suppose its better to close an add-on than having to close your browser. Anyway, for my computer, I'll give Chrome a 4.5 google wins out of 5.

There is always room for improvement, so honestly if your choosing a browser I would use them all a little before making a decision, just to be sure. I would highly recommend at least trying the big three right now and especially Chrome or Firefox. They have always been good to me and have some nice gadgets to try out.

Until next post, I'm off to learn more of the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment