Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Religion and those who'd rather not

So one thing that's been upsetting me lately is the fact that religious people cant seem to get along with atheists and vice versa.  Why we can't all just take the higher ground when someone who believes or does not believe tells us we are wrong I don't understand. I personally am an atheist, however I do not assume I know everything, that religious people are wrong and crazy, or that I am right in my assumption that there is not a god. I believe they are entitled to their beliefs just as anyone else. However I did just see a video of members of the U.S. senate interrupting a Hindu prayer, I thought to myself, if there was a Hindu or Jewish member of the senate how would those that interrupted feel if they heard a christian prayer getting loudly interrupted every couple of minutes. I believe you should treat others as you would be treated, and to me it didn't seem like they were even thinking about what they would feel if they were interrupted. I've heard atheists doing the same to Christians but that doesn't make it any less wrong than when those in the senate interrupted the Hindu prayer.

I've also heard Christians say that evolution couldn't have ever happened, most recently through the question, "What came first the chicken or the egg?". I posted a response and will post it here, "The ancestor of an un-evolved chicken came first if you were to ask someone who believes in evolution fully. By that logic i could go back to the first organism ever to exist and a fish would have evolved first than a mutant version of this ancient fish evolved over thousands of years into something that could walk on land, eventually due to its surroundings the fittest survived and a mutant evolved wings. This is how evolution works, what your doing is assuming without creationism is the answer." The poster of the video wanted desperately to disprove atheists, but without talking to one, you cant disprove what they believe. Honestly, why anyone would want to disprove someone else's beliefs is beyond me. How would you feel if someone tried to take your world, everything you knew to be true, and they tried to smash it to pieces in front of you? Not a pretty thought is it? This is what keeps me able to talk calmly to people, because I am fully aware of what I believe, and I refuse to get angry so long as I am able to have an intelligent conversation.

Anyway that does it for this rant, I hope to get some comments soon.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you here. I'm a little religious (I'd prefer not to say what I practice only to say that it's not any form of Christianity). I enjoy discussing religion, but when I see it turn into an all out debate I tend to change the topic. It's just too bad that people cannot simply agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete